10/27/06

Discordian sermon - Heart of Fire, Soul of Ice

SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice. - Robert Frost

So, which are we dying from as a world? Is it from the fire or ice?

Fire burns is a state of activity. It is a high state of entropy. It throws change off and starts it in other systems like some form of an agressive virus. It breathes, feeds and reproduces via sparks. We could say it is alive.

Do you have fire in your heart? Is there passion there that runs through your veins? Emotions are powerful and frightening, like a raging fire. But they can warm us on those cold nights and serve our needs. They can be a powerful source of inspiration that brings beauty, life, and change.

Or, is it cold in your heart? Is there ice in your soul? No, not in your heart. In your soul, for it's a pain that runs deeper. The ice is such that it would freeze the blood and blends the world into shades of frost and winter. We lose the emotion and passion, finding apathy and depression that is so vast and deep that there is only oppressive weight and silence.

Ice does not move on it's own. It does not dance. Ice does not change on it's own. It constricts and traps other things in it. It can serve our needs, but ultimately, does it truly?

I ask you, my friends, do you have fire in your heart? A pure burning passion that leaves the world aflame and consumes you? Or is it ice that leaves a river of cold air in your wake, freezing the world about you?

I struggle with the frost as it creeps over me, but my heart beats with fire in my blood. I am free, though I may not always see it. May you all be warm in the cold night, and when the frost attempts to settle upon you, let passion free you.

No comments: