1/26/15

TPE: A is for Anger

I'm a little behind on my TPE posts. I apologize for that. Scumbag brain has been making it hard for me to keep track of things.

Anger is the dark secret of emotions. No one wants to admit to having it on a regular basis. No one wants to talk about it. If you express it publicly, it had better be in a controlled, family friendly fashion or it scares the neighborhood. It's basically the red headed step-child of emotions.

The thing is, anger is really powerful. Anger can literally move nations to action. Don't believe me? Look at all the wars going on around the world. At the root of them, someone is angry with someone else and they decided to march on a road of bones. The magical community gets really squicked by anger, except for the people who are on the left-hand path or practice grey magic. I suppose I fall into the grey magic category.

You see, I use my anger (when I am able) to blast my way through the proverbial road blocks that pop up in front of me. Where some people would sit and sigh and sob about a problem, I get angry. Then I take that anger and channel it into bending the world to my will. Some people would tell you that this is a very dangerous thing to do. They'd be right, because if you're not ethical about it you can do a lot of damage. Heck, even when you're being ethical about it, you can still do a lot of damage.

The thing is, there has to be a point where you stop being overrun by the emotion and see it for what it is. It is energy. Anger is a very powerful form of energy. Shape it correctly and you can force a problem to be resolved or create a monstrosity. The question is, how are you going to use it. And that's always the question when you set out to do magic. Don't fear your anger. Don't let it rule you either. Make it work for you and you'll be bending things to you will as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any books that you would recommend for working with your anger? I know when I'm angry I get mixed results because I don't know how to control it. But that is where my strength lies, in my energy output when I'm angered.

The Wife said...

Timothy Rodrick's book Dark Moon Mysteries helped me in coming to grips with my anger and learning to accept that it was a good thing. Kerr Cuhulian's Full Contact Magic helps one build some of the discipline that is needed for managing anger magically. I came to those books kinda late in the game, honestly.

The thing that taught me the most about how to use my anger magically was learning a bit about the martial arts. My sensei taught me that handling anger was like handling a fire hose at full pressure. It takes a great deal of strength of will and concentration to direct it where you want it to go.

When you're not in the grips of anger, practice detachment from the emotion. Learn how to move from being in an experience to observing it. This skill will give you the distance you need from the anger to direct it where you want it to go.