1/19/16

Letters to Loki No. 32

Dear Loki,

I am sitting here dreading the moment my kids get home. I feel badly that I slept so much today. I know that I had a lot of problems sleeping last night. I don't know why I woke up so many times through the night, but I really hope that tonight is not like that. I also don't want to deal with temper tantrums like I was yesterday. I know that the kids need to get some outside play time. At the same time, though, it is in the low 20s (F) and the wind is screaming out there. Even fifteen minutes may be too long for me out there.

I have a huge pile of magazines regarding crochet and spinning to read. I flipped through the one regarding silk spinning. As I did so, I couldn't help thinking that this is something that you would enjoy. I know that some people associate spiders with you because of the similarity between one of your heiti and the name of spiders in Norwegian. (I think? It may be Swedish, I'm not sure anymore.) I will be honest, I have joined the club of people who associate you with spiders but not because of questionable games regarding semantics (which I believe you find hilarious. Just a suspicion, but I have a feeling you find the word games really funny). No, I've come to associate you with spiders because of late, spiders have become one of the ways you've been pointing things out to me.

All this stuff about silk spinning put me to mind of spider silk, which then brought to mind your creative efforts. Long story short, I saw something about mugga silk (which is a naturally gold colored silk) and said to myself, "I know Loki would LOVE this stuff." I am thinking about some how acquiring some and making something for you. I'm just not sure how I am going to go about doing it because it is incredibly expensive. Still, if and when I manage to get my hands on some, I'm going to make something for you. It may wind up being something like a tiny spiderweb doily, but I'm still going to make something.

My box of offerings is beginning to get somewhat full and I'm not sure what to do with them. I can't exactly burn them in a fire. I am loath to throw them away, because that feels horribly, horribly wrong to do. If you have any suggestions for what I can do with these, I would really appreciate it. Because I honestly don't know what should happen to them to make room for more offerings. I know that the perishable food offerings can go. You've made it clear on that front how you wanted me to approach it. But these things that are not food, I have no idea what I should be doing. So, give me some guidance on how to approach this, please.

No comments: